How to Add and Remove Individual Contacts in Groups
You can add and remove contacts inside groups as needed, whether the group was created for a keyword or for sending normal group messages.
Below we’ll show you how to add individual contacts to a group, how to remove contacts from a group, and offer general recommendations for managing group contacts.
For details on adding multiple contacts at a time, view our Importing Contacts page.
Manually Adding and Removing Individual Contacts in Groups
There are 2 ways to manually add and remove contacts in groups.
From the Group Page
- Go to the Groups tab of your Contacts menu option, and select the group you’d like to add a contact to. If you don’t have any groups yet, view our Creating Groups page.
- Go to the “Add contacts to group” section, and enter the contact’s name or number in the search bar.
- Choose the contact from the auto-fill suggestions to add them to the group.
- Enter the contact’s name in the filter bar, or scroll down to locate the contact.
- Click Remove on the right side of the contact’s information to remove the contact from the group.
From the Contact Details Box
You can get to a contact’s details box from either the Queue, Address Book, Group Message Details screen, or a their message thread. Then follow these steps:
- Click on the contact (hyperlinked blue) to see their details box.
- Note which groups they already belong to.
- Click Edit Group Membership.
- Click Add next to any group you’d like to add them to. You can also remove a contact from any groups from this same screen.
Automatically Adding and Removing Contacts (Subscribers and Opt Outs)
If you’ve created a keyword, and a person texts in your keyword (existing contact or not), they will be automatically added to that keyword’s group. If a contact unsubscribes from a keyword, they will be automatically removed from that keyword’s group.
For more details, view our Keywords page.
If a contact opts out of all messages from your number (i.e. texts “STOP”), they will be automatically archived and removed from all groups. For more details, view our Individual Contacts page.