How to Create and Send Individual Messages
In Text Request, you can send messages to individuals or to groups of people. Below we’ll show you how to send messages to individuals, and what all can be included in a message.
How to Send an Individual Message
There are several ways to send an individual message in Text Request, so we’ll start with the most common.
From the Queue
- Go to your Queue (main dashboard).
- Click the green Compose Message button.
- Enter the recipient’s phone number. If the contact is already saved in your Address Book, they will show in the typeahead suggestions. You can also enter a saved contact’s name in this field, and choose them from the typeahead suggestions. For more details, view our Individual Contacts page.
- Type your message. A character counter will appear to help you. A single text can contain up to 160 characters. Your message can be longer, but it will send as multiple texts, which count towards your monthly total. For more details, view our SMS 101 page. For steps 5-9, click "Show additional options" beneath your message.
- *Choose your auto-signature. Signatures count towards your message character count. You can also choose not to include a signature with your message(s). For more details, view our Signatures page.
- *Choose a saved response in place of typing a message, if you wish. Saved responses are optional. For more details, view our Saved Responses page.
- *Attach an image. PNG, JPEG, and GIF files are supported. You can attach one image per message. File size limit is 5MB.
- *Choose whether to send your message now or schedule it for later.
- *If scheduling your message, choose the date and time you want the message to send.
- Proof your message to make sure everything is how you want it.
- Click Send or Schedule, depending on whether you’re sending now or later.
Note, your first message to all new contacts will be accompanied by the opt out message “Text STOP to opt out.” For more details, view our SMS 101 page.
* = Step is optional
From a Conversation Block
You can reply to a contact or send them a new message by clicking the Reply arrow in the contact’s conversation block. Then follow the steps above to send your message. (Their phone number will be pre-filled.)
From a Contact’s Thread
If you’re viewing a contact’s thread (i.e. message history), you can scroll to the bottom and send them a message. Enter your message, choose whether to include a signature, saved response, or image. Click Send Message when ready. You cannot schedule messages from a contact’s thread.
From the Address Book
Note, only Administrators and Managers can access the Address Book. For more details, view our User Permissions page.
- Go to your Contacts menu option. Be sure you’re viewing the Address Book tab.
- Locate the contact you’d like to message. You can use the Contact Filters box to quickly search your Address Book. For more details, view our Individual Contacts page.
- Click Compose next to the contact you want to message.
- Follow the steps above to finish sending your message.
How to Reply to a Message
To reply to any message, either click the Reply button in the contact’s conversation block, or click on the contact’s conversation block to view their thread. From here you can also reply to them.
Note, replying to a message automatically resolves that message. For more details, view our Queue page.